[TR] Finished Rear Half Shaft Rebuild

To: "Triumphs" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: [TR] Finished Rear Half Shaft Rebuild
From: "Dave Connitt" <dconnitt@fuse.net>
Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2006 09:50:30 -0400
List,
Yesterday I received some new seal materials to try to replace the old felt
washers that were used to seal the big nut that holds the two pieces of my
IRS rear half shafts together. I ended up using a Buna-n o-ring. I know, I
never heard of them either. McMaster-Carr sells them. It looks like a
squared off o-ring. The spec. says it seals the ID, OD, top, and bottom. A
cross section looks like an o-ring with an "X" superimposed over it.
Anyway, it works great, just work it down the splined portion of the shaft
and it rides perfect on the smooth section of the shaft. For those of you
who may need to do this, here are the specs..
Material:  Viton with a Durometer Shore of 70
Size: 3/16ths square thru the cross section, ID is 1.10, OD is 1.52
McMaster-Carr P/N: 90025K402
Manufacturer's P/N: AS568A-320
Cost: $6.73 for 25 pieces
I have some pictures of the part on my website. Go to progress page and
click on "seal".
When installed, the shafts seem to slide with a slight "wheezing" coming out
of the end as there is no grease on the splines yet. I still have to pick up
a grease gun and some grease.
One more thing I can check off!
Dave Connitt
'67 TR4A