Re: [TR] Adjustable wheel split Column

To: "Terry Smith" <terryrs@adelphia.net>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [TR] Adjustable wheel split Column
From: tr3driver@comcast.net (Randall)
Date: Sat, 17 Jun 2006 15:59:56 +0000
> I called one of the Big Three recently, because I needed the bushing that goes
> into the top of the steering column.  Moss part number 520--050 is felt for
> all, but number 525-020 is rubber/nylon, listed as for only split column.

If you want the bushing that goes right under the steering wheel, it is felt on
all models.  The rubber/nylon thing (which also has steel in it) is used only
on the split columns, on both sides of the split.

> The parts person I spoke with told me on the phone that the nylon bushing
> would not fit a TR3A because TR3A's didn't come with split columns.  She
> checked with someone else to be sure.

Must have been some communication error there ... I'm quite certain that at
least some people at Moss know better.

> My '59 TR3A TS 58667 is a split column, and adjustable to boot.  Seems stock,
> so I'm a bit confused.

Split columns came in much earlier than that, so it's certain TS58667 should
have a split column.  I don't recall the exact introduction point offhand, but
TS39781LO was also a split column (from the factory).

> 1)  It seems that the nylon bushing would be better than a felt bushing in the
> top of the column.

It won't fit.  Also not as good, IMO, in this application.

>  But if for some reason it doesn't fit, do you oil the felt
> version (which I'll just fabricate at home) when you put it in?

I would suggest a "dry" lubricant, like powdered graphite.  (Don't have my
manuals handy, but ISTR that's what it suggests too.)  Oil will attract dirt
and become sticky over time.  I used dry "moly" on mine, seemed to work very
well.

> 2)  I have this fabulous Motolita wood wheel with an adaptor that accepts my
> adjustable control head.  (Love this thing!)  Does one still use the chrome
> shroud, retainer and washer with the Motolita aftermarket item?  Or are these
> spare parts I'll be getting rid of along with the rest of the leftovers in a
> couple of months?

Unless your Motolita adapter is also adjustable, I'd guess you will discard the
other parts.  But that's just a guess.

Randall

===     http://www.vtr.org