RE: [TR] Adjustable wheel split Column

To: "Terry Smith" <terryrs@adelphia.net>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: [TR] Adjustable wheel split Column
From: "Peter Ryner" <pryner@verizon.net>
Date: Sat, 17 Jun 2006 09:23:16 -0400
Terry,
I can assure you that there are split columns in the TR3.  I've had one too.

Brooklands TR spare parts catalogue lists the felt bushes #43314 (2 req) for
all tr3s and it is shown in the breakout picture.  They also list a bush
bearing, 1 required, #606630, but it does not give any application.  My
memory has started to fade, but I do remember seeing a nylon bush in the top
of one of my old columns - can't say if it was the TR or one of the many
other LBCs I've worked on.  I can tell you that if you use the nylon bush I
do remeber that there are two holes in the column for a small round tab of
the bush to fit into which holds the bush in place.  If the holes are not
present in your column the bush won't work.

I replaced the felt in my TR many years ago and still don't have any
excessive play in the column.  Of course I don't use the car daily as I once
did and don't use the wheel as a fulcrum to enter and exit the car so the
potential to wear and damage the bush is probably low.
Pete