RE: [TR] Dim Brake Light - 72 TR 6

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: [TR] Dim Brake Light - 72 TR 6
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2006 23:03:26 -0700
> Can someone tell why a brake light would be dimmer
> on one side of the car and not the other when I was
> under the impression that they use a  common ground??

Do they use a common ground ?  I thought they were grounded through the fixture
to the body on each side, like the other Triumphs are ?

Anyway, other possible reasons include :

weak/old bulbs (as Phil suggested),

damage to the hot wire (broken strands or corrosion, possibly under the
insulation where it can't be seen), corrosion in the socket,

incorrect bulb (there are several different power bulbs that will fit in the
same socket),

and even bad connections inside the bulb holder.

The bulb holders on a TR6 (and my Stag) are one of those "What idiot designed
this, and what was he smoking" designs ... dissimilar metals held in contact
only by soft thermoplastic that sags over time. I could see the gap between the
metal parts on the original bulb holders in my 71 Stag.  They can be repaired,
but I would suggest just buying new ones from TRF (likely Moss sells the same
thing), which are arranged for real ground wires instead of trying to ground
through spring clips to the fixture.  Of course that means you'll have to make
up some real ground wires ...

Randall

===     http://www.vtr.org