RE: [TR] 1974 TR6 flywheel ring gear?

To: "machinemd" <machinemd@juno.com>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: [TR] 1974 TR6 flywheel ring gear?
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 8 Jun 2006 14:53:38 -0700
> I know that I've read that the ring gear is often put on
> backwards because of
> habit and the change of starter from the TR250/early TR6. What is
> the proper
> orientation....mitered edge of tooth toward or away from starter?
> Logic tells
> me towards but I found mine facing away.

The evidence seems clear that the factory installed them that way (beveled
edge of ring gear teeth facing away from starter pinion) on at least some
cars.  The bevel was only required for early 'Bendix' starters, where the
gears had to engage while the starter was already spinning.  The later cars
used a "pre-engaged" design that does not require a bevel, since the starter
does not spin before the gears engage.

Randall

===     http://www.vtr.org