[TR] Worst cars owned comments

To: Triumph List <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: [TR] Worst cars owned comments
From: Pat Fischer <pfischer@rmi.net>
Date: Sun, 04 Jun 2006 18:33:54 -0500
I've been looking over this thread, and found the discussion interesting
from a car history perspective.  Comes down to this:  Sometimes model
lines lose their way. Sometimes manufacturers lose their way.

Look at the VW someone wrote about. That brand used to be the standard
for simple (in a good way), reliable, rational transportation. But the
company lost its way, walked into the dark tunnel, wandered down the
wrong road. Like the Volvo another lister wrote about. Used to be a
stellar brand, and they could advertise reliability and safety and we
all believed it because it was true. They made their own path in the
industry, and then they left it.

Ford. They've strayed around the quality factor, especially, I gather in
the early '90s from reading the list comments. But then there is their
model saga. Look at how the Mustang started with a great car; look at
what they did to it in the mid 70's, I believe it was.  Just what was
that fat slug with the Mustang name on it?  But the Mustang seems to
have found its way back on track again (and I say that not having driven
one), and it's one of the few models to do so. Maybe the only model to
be so lost and later redeemed.

What do you think? I'd like to hear other comments.

Pat Fischer

===     http://www.vtr.org