RE: [TR] reversing polarity

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: [TR] reversing polarity
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 1 Jun 2006 17:32:48 -0700
> Problem is that the previous owner converted the Four to negative
>  ground.  I want
> to go back to positive.  I know about the switch on  the radio
> and the amp
> gauge wires but the generator scares me.

Strictly NBD, Darrell.  One method is to disconnect the field wire from the
F terminal on the control box, and brush it against the A terminal.  Should
get some small sparks, but nothing too dramatic.  Then reconnect the wire to
the F terminal, it's all done.

Another method is to start the engine first, then remove the cover from the
control box and jam the cutout relay closed with your thumb.  No muss, no
fuss, don't have to disconnect anything.  Put the cover back on, you're
done.

But don't forget that the wires on the ignition coil should be reversed
also.  (Assuming they were reversed before.)  Although the engine will run
with them reversed, you'll get somewhat easier starting and better fuel
mileage with them the right way around.  For an original coil on a positive
ground car, the SW terminal should get the white wire from the harness, and
the CB terminal gets the wire from the distributor.

Later coils are marked + and - ; on a positive ground car, the "+" terminal
should connect to the distributor and the "-" terminal to the white wire.

Randall

===     http://www.vtr.org