Re: TR4A differential dummy bearings.

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: TR4A differential dummy bearings.
From: Barry Schwartz <v6spitfireguy@cox.net>
Date: Fri, 02 Dec 2005 17:02:26 -0800
>We have made some dummy (trial and set up) bearings for aligning the pinion
>and crown gears of the Triumph TR4 IRS differential.  These will be used to
>find which shims are needed to provide the correct mesh pattern on their
>teeth. They are made from tool steel and precision machined to duplicate
>the dimensions of the factory spec bearings for the crown cage bearings and
>the pinion big bearing

I think you'll find that there is enough differences in bearings themselves
to make this almost a futile effort - I have found that even using the same
housing and pinion gear but simply changing the bearings can require a
several thousands difference in the pinion height ( I.E. spacer).  This was
determined using a special gauge measuring the head of the pinion gear
relative to the case - so as to replace it in the exact same position as it
was removed.  The problem lies in the way the tapered roller bearings are
made.  The inner and outer races are not matched sets per se, because
different outer races can be used with different inner races to create an
overall bearing of different dimensions.  As such, the tolerance stack up
can amount to a significant amount.
Unless you can find a bearing that has the exact same dimensions, you'll be
out of luck -

Barry Schwartz (San Diego)