RE: TR4A differential dummy bearings.

To: "Arnold S. Gilmour" <gilmo004@mc.duke.edu>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: TR4A differential dummy bearings.
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Fri, 2 Dec 2005 10:44:39 -0800
> Here's a write up of the differential dummy bearings description.  I might
> suggest running this by Randall Young or some of the other "critical
> experts" before posting it to the general TR net.  They may mail me about
> clarifications etc.

The description makes perfect sense to me, Arnold, but I am definitely not
an expert in this area.  I've never had to reshim any of my differentials,
so I only know what I've read in books and been told by others.

> This will allow you to easily knock apart and change shims on
> this critical
> adjustment when checking tooth mesh patterns with machinist blueing.  Once
> the proper shim assortment is accertained, you can then reasemble the unit
> with the "real" bearings".

Just to restate :

Generally changing shims is only required when changing the gear set or
carrier ... but it can be a real PITA then.  Basically you have to install
and remove the bearings from their pressed-in positions many times to
complete the process of selecting shim packs.  There are 4 different
locations where shim packs must be selected, and they all interact !  This
tool acts as a bearing substitute during that process, giving (hopefully)
the same clearance measurements as the actual bearings but not requiring a
press to install and remove the tool.

I do have some 3.45 gearsets that I plan to install "someday" ... I'll
definitely be contacting John then (unless Herman vdA has the same thing
available).  Thanks much for the offer, Arnold.

Randall

===     http://www.vtr.org