RE: TR6/250 water temp sending uints

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: TR6/250 water temp sending uints
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 14 Aug 2005 21:14:45 -0700
> twakeman@razzolink.com writes:
> > I have one of those, along with a TR6/GT6 gauge in the Land Rover
> > watching over the water temperature in a Ford 302 (How's that for a
> > mixture).  Ideally I would like to gauge to read just a tad lower so the
> > needle was centered when the 180 degree thermostat opened.

Dave Massey replied :
> If that's all you want try adding a small value resistor in series with the
> sensor.  Start with a 47 Ohm 1/4 and see if you like that reading.  Go up or
> down from there.

The thing that worries me greatly about that approach is that you will likely
wind up with a gauge that can never read full scale !

I don't know the TR6/GT6 gauge calibration, but some measurements on a spare
Stag gauge I have indicate that it takes roughly 25 ohms sender resistance just
to reach the red zone.  With 47 ohms in the circuit, it will never go over 3/4,
even with the sender shorted.

Obviously YMMV, but IMO it's important to have accurate information when trying
to make that decision as to whether to push on home, or call AAA.

Randall