re: Right angle drive for speedo necessary?

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: re: Right angle drive for speedo necessary?
From: CarlSereda@aol.com
Date: Wed, 10 Aug 2005 15:09:13 EDT
Drew,
1) a couple broken speedo cables is a good reason to look for a cause (dried
up speedo mechanism, kinked route of cable, or here's a newer issue, some new
cables apparently have too long an inner cable which jambs mechanism - make
sure your inner cable is just long enough to engage, and not bottom out, in
both
recieving end spindles.
2) 'angle drives' came in on TR4As. For TR4 it comes straight off tranny. On
non-OD tranny, cable goes through a rubber boot attached to side of cardboard
tranny cover (near parking brake), but I'm not sure about OD version - the OD
cable is longer and I don't know its route - maybe someone else on list knows
that one..
regards,
Carl
'63 TR4 since '74
PO said she replaced the cable, and the guage
worked briefly before stopping.
Drew