RE: Restrictor Valve

Subject: RE: Restrictor Valve
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 13 Dec 2004 07:39:15 -0800
Cc: <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
> It is a restrictor valve, part number 116197, and has a valve and spring
> inside.  I'm not sure of its purpose, though, since other cars did not
> have its equivalent.  Maybe Randall knows.

Under hard driving, the front spindles can deflect enough to push the caliper
pistons back into the bores, resulting in a low pedal
on the next brake application.  Not low enough to be dangerous, IMO, but enough
to reduce driver confidence in the brakes,
especially in precision driving situations like a race course.

Just a WAG, but it's at least possible that the problem was no longer evident
on the IRS cars with their softer suspensions, and so
the factory deleted the valve.  I've only rarely been able to notice the
problem on my TR3A (where I removed the insides of the
valve many years ago), even though I had wide wheels, sticky tires, anti-sway
bars, hard bushings, etc.

Randall