RE: Restrictor Valve

To: <john.dunham@teradyne.com>
Subject: RE: Restrictor Valve
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 13 Dec 2004 06:42:08 -0800
Cc: <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
> I held my breath and carefully counted the turns as I attempted to
> dis-assemble, waiting anxiously for parts & pieces to spring in every
> direction.  After exactly 10 full revolutions, nothing.
> I guess if anyone knows where these are available new, that would be great.
> If not, any clue how to dis-assemble and thoroughly clean?  I let it soak
> in brake fluid for about a week, but it is still pretty nasty looking
> inside.

I am fairly certain you can just poke a drill bit through and tap out the
insides of the valve.  The 'screw' is (or at least was)
just spring-loaded and the spring is probably no more.

My suggestion is to just remove the insides and reassemble without them.  The
valve was deleted by the factory on later cars anyway.
The downside to deactivating the valve is that your brake pedal may be a bit
low after *very* spirited driving (eg race track),
which some people find disconcerting. But a single pump brings back full
brakes.  The racers have worked out other modifications
that prevent this, however, which IMO are superior to the factory solution of
the residual pressure valve (which has the effect of
keeping the front brakes partially applied all the time).

Randall