Re: Thermostats/Over heating?

To: ebk@buffnet.net, TR List <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Thermostats/Over heating?
From: emanteno@comcast.net
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 2004 02:54:40 +0000

> Hi List!
> I have a TR4/A IRS that has basically a close set up like Fred's. I only have
>2
> badges on the far outside of the grill & don't have the electric fan, but I
>do
> have a 6 blade tropical fan with the 6 blade water pump, the Moss [USA]
>sleeved
> summer thermostat, & the 7# cap. Only 72 mile out from home on my way to TRA
> 2004, I over heated to the point that I was flat beaded home. I also have the
> same mix with 'No-Rosion' in the cooling system. I had just rebuilt the
>engine
> with 5,000 miles on it the first yr. & had over 500 miles on it this 2nd yr.
> before I had the coolant mixture spraying all over the engine by escaping
> through the over flow bottle. I still don't know the cause of it. :-( I do
>know
> that I am getting coolant into the Sump Pan. :-\
> So if any of you have an idea, then PLEASE E-mail me your thoughts.

Cosmo,
If your engine is running hot and you have coolant in the sump, then you most
likely have a blown head gasket. It is not uncommon with the TRactor engines to
have the head gasket blown between #2 and # 3, and have the leak pressurize the
cooling system and super heat the coolant, leading to spewage from the
overflow. HTH,
Irv Korey
74 TR6 CF22767U
63 TR4 VSCDA Group 2 #58