RE: Thermostats/Over heating?

To: <ebk@buffnet.net>, "TR List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Thermostats/Over heating?
Date: Sun, 25 Jul 2004 21:03:27 -0700
> I had just
> rebuilt the engine with 5,000 miles on it the first yr. & had
> over 500 miles on it this 2nd yr. before I had the coolant
> mixture spraying all over the engine by escaping through the over
> flow bottle. I still don't know the cause of it. :-(  I do know
> that I am getting coolant into the Sump Pan. :-\

Hate to say it Cosmo, but that sounds like either a blown head gasket or a
cracked head.  Either way, the engine is coming apart again ...

You can try pressurizing the cylinders with compressed air, to verify which
one is leaking, but this doesn't always work.

However, the only other paths for coolant to get into the sump would be
either a cracked block or a cracked liner.  Both of these are extremely rare
for TR motors.

Randall