Re: over heating

To: Geo Hahn <ahwahnee@cybertrails.com>
Subject: Re: over heating
Date: Tue, 27 Jul 2004 21:11:32 -0600
Cc: TR <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Geo Hahn wrote:

> Peter Fullam wrote:
>
>> ...The problem was the point gap, which was about .006". The point gap
>> has a major effect on the timing, which is why the manual gives a .002
>> tolerance on it. The rubbing block on the new points had "worn in"
>> about .010" on the trip...
>

> I also had this happen on a long hot drive.  I now use a tiny amount of
> assembly lube on the cam and this has not recurred.

Actually, I'm quite amazed that such isn't common knowledge by now,
but part of that loss of knowledge comes from cost-cutting by the
manufacturers (and the fact that most cars today have pointless
ignitions of some sort). In days long past, most manufacturers
included in each points kit a small pill of recommended lubricant
for the rubbing block. But, I guess, no longer.

Cheers.

--
Michael D. Porter
Roswell, NM

Never let anyone drive you crazy when you know it's within walking
distance.