TR4A IRS clunk

To: triumphs@autox.team.net (Triumphs List)
Subject: TR4A IRS clunk
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 2004 12:54:29 +0000
My car is recently out of restoration (every nut and bolt removed) 400 miles
ago.  I recently developed a "clunk" in the DS rear.  It is an odd thing.  I
have had U-joints go bad before but they always clunked and vibrated at all
times.

This clunk is noticeable on the road only with deceleration or moderate
braking.  With power or harder braking there is no clunk.  No clunk either if I
push in the clutch pedal and coast.  Maybe at very low speed (as I pull into
the garage) I can notice the clunk when under power.  The frequency of the
clunk seems to be once per wheel rotation.

I will be jacking the rear up sometime soon and will look further.  Anybody
ever have this sort of clunk before, or any suggestions of where to look?

I am thinking U-joints, brake shoes/drum, hub securing bolts, the hub itself,
trailing arm bolts, and very unlikely the shock unit.  However, none of these
seem an obvious answer to me with this clunk.

-Tony