RE: Stag differential mounts.

To: "List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Stag differential mounts.
From: "Randall Young" <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Thu, 24 Jun 2004 14:41:18 -0700
Graham Stretch wrote :

> We hit the crossing hard and went back for a look , the rails
> stood out 3 inches, it was like hitting 4 kerbs in quick succession,

Now you've got me worried, Graham ... I occasionally drive home from work
through a crossing rather similar to that.  In my case, the asphalt/tarmac
is pushed up into rolls next to the rails, sticking up 2-3".  3 sets of
rails, so a total of about 12 rolls of asphalt.  In the TR3, I just roll
through at about 10 mph, since I've found that driving a bit faster seems to
have less impact on the body (and me); and I'm worried that I may lose
control if I go over any faster (as the car already skips around a fair
amount).  I've been over it several times in my Stag, although much slower
(as it feels apt to lose control at 5 mph).

> The simple solution to the weakness there is to weld 2 bits of 1
> inch x 1/4
> inch strap steel in to the gap, no more problem!

Do you mean the gap between the ears on the extension ?

For those who are wondering what we're talking about, there's a diagram at
http://www.triumphstag.net/start/technical/partslist/diagrams.php?diag=02-46

Randall