Re: Pin in TOB sleeve

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>, "January Williams" <january@chemeketa.edu>
Subject: Re: Pin in TOB sleeve
From: "jays" <jays@paonline.com>
Date: Thu, 3 Jun 2004 14:11:42 -0400
I am sure mine came with a roll pin in this hole.

As a side note to all of you who are pulling transmissions:  Make certain that
you check the lateral movement between the two pins in the cast iron yoke, and
the TOB groove.  All my TOB/clutch problems were a result of the yoke being too
wide, I think.  The cross shaft has a spring that forces the yoke to the
outboard side.  If the yoke is too wide, there will not be enough contact
between the yoke pin and the TOB groove shoulder.  This can result in an
escalating problem.  The one pin had barely made contact with the TOB on mine.
This was not obvious until I pulled it out (after a few hundred miles) and saw
the wear.  The pin wears rapidly, causing an off center load condition, that
causes the TOB to bind, that causes more friction and wear, that causes.....

If the yoke does not center properly, either use a correct one, or install
shims to center it properly.  My faulty one may have been from a bad batch, so
there may be a lot of these out there.

I also put in the Gunst the last time, and this has been working great.

From: "January Williams" <january@chemeketa.edu>
Date:  Thu, 3 Jun 2004 09:51:31 -0700