Stromberg Problems

To: Dale VanCleef <dalebonn@netnitco.net>
Subject: Stromberg Problems
From: Dave Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Sun, 25 Apr 2004 14:09:33 -0400
Cc: Triumphs List <triumphs@autox.team.net> i3PICNRS031375
Message text written by Dale VanCleef
>I have a 73 TR6 which has required the choke to be pulled out to run
well.  It has behaved this way since I got it home last fall.

Obviously, something is wrong.  So, I bought all of the required tools
and manuals and printed the instructions from the Buckeye Triumphs site.

I got the carbs synced ok... they were already close.  Then I moved on
to mixture.  The front carb tested ok.  But the rear one tests lean
(which would explain why I need the choke).  I used the mixture tool and
started making clock-wise adjustment... 1/2 turn at a time.  But every
time I lifted the air slide 1/4 of an inch, the engine died.  According
to what I've read, that means it's too lean.  After 2 1/4 clockwise
turns ( 4 1/2 half turns), it was adjusted as far as it would go.  Still
it tests lean.
<

You have a 73 TR6.  This is an emissions compliant car.  Forget about the
lift-the-piston method of checking the mixture.  It works on the early
model TR's because the carb designers profiled the needles to do that but
you can't meet emissions with needle profiles like that.  The manual says
to set the CO to 2.5% and you need a CO meter to do that.

But you can get close without it.  The first thing to check now is to see
if the needle has become disengaged from the adjuster.  If one needle was
disengaged then that carb was set to full lean and the adjustments you were
making were having no effect.  Pull the top off of each carb, remove the
piston and work the adjuster and see if the needle moves in and out.  If
the needle doesn't move then the threads aren't grabbing.  Gently push on
the needle whilst turning the adjuster clockwise until the needle catches.
Then set the needle so that the shoulder is flush with the bottom of the
piston.  This will set the two needles equal and all adjustments should be
made equally to both carbs.  I have found this setting to work fine on my
71 TR6.  But if you feel richer is called for you know what to do.

Good luck

Dave