RE: First TR3a ride of the season, hmmm...

To: "'Triumphs@Autox Net'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: First TR3a ride of the season, hmmm...
From: "Randall Young" <Ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Fri, 23 Apr 2004 21:18:57 -0700
> -          The indicator is a little skidish when activated.

You mean it slides around corners ?

>  It seems to
> settle when I nudge the lever towards me.  The control head has to come
> apart huh?

Most likely.

> -          When "de-gearing" to a stop the idle seems to start choking and
> tries to die.  Unless I "tweak" the idle it continues to try and die, it
> will need another press of the accelerator or two sometimes.
> Then the idle
> seems to come back ok.  I have opened the distributor and there
> seems to be
> no noticeable play when I jiggle the shaft. What am I looking for next?

My first guess would be play in the carb shafts.  Also check the operation
of the centrifugal ignition advance.

> -          On the way home the first 20 minutes of the drive went really
> nice, temp right on 185degF.  Then the engine started to sputter you could
> hear the air being sucked in when pressing the gas but the power still
> dropped.  As the power dropped, I shift down to raise the rpm and try ride
> through it.  No luck it ends up dying.  Thinking of flooding once it is
> dead, I hold the pedal to open the carbs and let out the gas.  She then
> starts and let me go a little further before doing it again.

What are you using for ignition ?

This actually sounds more like a fuel delivery problem to me, a clogged
filter or screen somewhere perhaps or crud getting in a float or fuel pump
valve.

Next time it start to sputter, take your foot off the gas for a few seconds,
then step back down.  If it starts to run smooth, then starts sputtering
again, that's a good sign that you aren't getting enough fuel to the carbs.

Randall