RE: TR3 and oxygen sensors

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: TR3 and oxygen sensors
From: "Randall Young" <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Apr 2004 15:27:35 -0700
> So short of converting to a different manifold, has anyone got some words
> of wisdom about how to do this to get both carbs tuned?

IMO, the old "lift the piston" test is equally sensitive ... when everything
else is just right, it will distinguish a 1/2 flat movement (1/12 rotation)
of the mixture nuts on my H6 carbs.  And if it's not that sensitive, then
something else is wrong (valve lash, ignition timing, etc.).

I've tried an O2 sensor ... although I was only interested in overall
mixture so I only installed one of them.  Didn't find it particularly
helpful.

Someone else mentioned using a Uni-syn ... for my money the old "SU tool
kit" works much better.  The Uni-syn will only tell you if the carbs are
synchronized at idle, not if they stay synchronized as you open the
throttle.  The "SU tool kit" will tell you both ... for half the price of a
Uni-syn.  Takes up less space in the toolbox, too.

But wait, there's more !  It also includes gages to set float height!  Now
what would you pay ?

Oops, sorry, too much late-night television <G>

Randall