RE: A Tale of Two Engines

To: "tri" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: A Tale of Two Engines
From: "Randall Young" <Ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Wed, 14 Apr 2004 00:18:27 -0700
> Hopefully, I can combine the best of two old engines (out of a
> '60 TR3A & '66
> TR4) into one good engine.  The PO  of one of the engines told me
> he thought
> everything else ought to interchange.  Although I've previously
> had expierence
> rebuilding a VW engine, I am new to these motors.  What things will
> interchange?

The front plates are different, you will have to use the TR3 front plate if
you want to install it in your TR3.

I think by 66, the road draft tube was replaced with a vent tube from the
rocker cover to the air cleaners.  You will have to use one system or the
other, you cannot just seal up the crankcase.  My suggestion would be the
road draft, but be sure you take the vented oil filler cap with it.  Same
thing applies if I've forgotten and the "PCV" system was in use by 66.

Check the studs at the rear face of the block, the TR4 might have the longer
studs for a thicker transmission flange.

"66" should mean it's a TR4A motor, if so you'll want to keep the TR3A
flywheel.  The 4A used a diaphragm clutch rather than the "3 finger" style
and the flywheel was different.  The diaphragm clutch requires some
transmission changes.

The 4A intake and exhaust manifolds would likely be a problem too, easiest
to keep the 3A manifolds.  TR4 manifolds should be OK.

>  If the older motor is 1991cc's and the '66 is 2138
> cc, should I
> automatically try to go with the larger cylinders, and pistons?

It's your call, it's not a huge difference.  The bigger liners will make a
bit more power, burn a bit more gas, and want a higher octane fuel.

> I plan to use both Haynes & Bentley manuals.  Shouldn't this be
> sufficient?

Sounds like plenty to me, but they won't help you when it comes to which
parts fit what.  For some odd reason, they assume you started with a
complete engine <g>

Randall