RE: Oil

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Oil
From: "Randall Young" <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Fri, 9 Apr 2004 18:24:49 -0700
> "paraffin tends to settle out with use and form sludge"
>
> Not true.

Ok, Glenn, I'll bite ... what was that thick, greasy buildup in the bottom
of my oil pan when I used Pennzoil ?  I'm sorry I didn't save it to send you
a sample ...

All I know for sure is that I have personally observed much larger amounts
of sludge when using motor oil that claims to come from "Pennsylvania grade
crude".   And I have seen first hand Triumph rocker shafts that were clogged
with sludge ... but never from an engine that always used Valvoline.

And it was my understanding (perhaps incorrect) that the term "Pennsylvania
grade" referred to crude oil having a high level of alkanes heavy enough to
be what we laymen recognize as paraffin wax ... the white substance that
candles are frequently made of.

Randall