Speedometer cable/drive gear

To: "'triumphs@autox.team.net'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>, "'spitfire-enthusiast@yahoogroups.com'" <spitfire-enthusiast@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Speedometer cable/drive gear
From: Jim Holmgren <jholmgren@advertising.com>
Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2003 22:36:27 -0400
Hi all,
I've got another "newbie" question, so please bear with me...not as
complicated as rebuilding the engine, but it's a start:

The speedometer on my '75 Spit 1500 is not functioning.  I checked the upper
cable, seems fine - I can detach the cable from the service interval counter
and spin the cable and the speedo needle jumps.  Next, I replaced the lower
cable...it looked in poor condition and I was just itching to get under the
car anyway ;-)
Side note:  The cable that VB sent me was a bit shorter than the one that
was previously installed.  I'm thinking the installed cable may have been
from an OD-equipped model...not sure.

Anyway, after replacing the lower cable (and greasing both cables) - still
no speedo.

Unless someone corrects me, my next step is to get back under the car,
detach the lower cable from the gearbox and make sure it is spinning freely
(I'll have my wife keep an eye on the speedo).  If it indeed does spin
freely all the way up to the speedo, I'd think I need to pull the drive
gear.  Looking at the diagram in my Repair manual, it appears that I can
just pull this gear out once I've removed the bolt that holds the speedo
cable assembly to the gearbox.  I know some newer cars make this gear out of
nylon and they can and do wear out...does anyone know if this is often the
case on Triumphs?

Any other words of wisdom or advice?  The speedometer hasn't worked since I
bought it and it drives me crazy!  It's tough to gauge how fast you are
going in a still-unfamiliar car without it!  I can make a SWAG based on the
Tach, but I doubt my local law-enforcement officer would buy that reasoning.

Thanks!
Jim
'75 Spitfire 1500

The information transmitted in this email is intended
only for the person(s) or entity to which it is addressed
Any review, retransmission, dissemination or other use of,
or taking of any action in reliance upon, this information
by persons or entities other than the intended recipient is
prohibited.  If you received this email in error, please
contact the sender and permanently delete the email from any computer.