Re: Running lights - little lbc

To: "Scott A. Roberts" <herald1200@comcast.net>, "Jim Muller" <jimmuller@pop.mail.rcn.net>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Running lights - little lbc
From: "Phil Ethier" <pethier@isd.net>
Date: Wed, 6 Aug 2003 00:48:23 -0500
From: "Scott A. Roberts" <herald1200@comcast.net>

> I don't know why, but I often have the damndest time seeing road markings
in
> the rain at night- I think the droplets refract the white light or
> something- but the amber fog lights bring it all together nicely.

The trick is to increase the angle between your eyes and the lights.  Also,
to avoid lighting the drops/fog/snow up in front of your eyes.  The easiest
way to do both of these is to mount the lights as low as possible.  This is
more important than the yellow color.

I have swapped the stacked-quad lights on my Suburban around to put the low
beam on the bottom. The improvement in rain, fog and especially snow is
astounding.  Using fog lights mounted even lower (and leaving the regular
headlights OFF) would be even better.

Worst car I ever had for rain/fog/snow forward vision was a 1966 Comet.
Stacked quads with the top light as high as it could be mounted.  I was on a
rally once and there was snow.  Could not see a damned thing but snow
reflected in the headlights.  My navigator held the Q-I hand light out the
window as low as she could and I turned off the headlights.  Huge
improvement.  One would think that I would learn from that and swap the
headlights around, but I didn't get that smart for another couple of
decades.  At least we didn't get arrested.

Phil Ethier  West Side  Saint Paul  Minnesota  USA
1970 Lotus Europa 65/2597, 1992 Saturn SL2, 1986 Suburban, 1962 TR4 CT2846L
pethier@isd.net  http://www.mnautox.com/  http://www.lotusowners.com