Re: Running lights - little lbc

To: "Bob labuz" <yellowtr@adelphia.net>, "David Templeton" <davidt@opentext.com>
Subject: Re: Running lights - little lbc
From: "Phil Ethier" <pethier@isd.net>
Date: Wed, 6 Aug 2003 00:33:46 -0500
Cc: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
From: "Bob labuz" <yellowtr@adelphia.net>
To: "David Templeton" <davidt@opentext.com>
Cc: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Sent: Tuesday, July 29, 2003 12:52 PM

> David Templeton wrote:
> > On my way home from the office tonight I was in the '3 and it was still
an
> > hour before dusk, so still quite light. But driving on some tree shaded
> > roads I figure I would drive with just the running lights, to save on
gennie
> > power. Ten out of the eleven cars that passed me in the opposite
direction
> > put their high beams on as if my highs were on.
> >
> > Clearly this wasn't the case, and I think they were indicating my lights
> > should be on. Couple of thoughts came to mind:
> >
> > - When did it become a bad thing to run with only running lights?

Always, in the Minnesota Driver's Manual.  State law says that parking
lights are for parking.

> > - why are cars still equiped with the ability to run running lights only
if
> > it is such a bad thing?

Dunno.  The recent trend to the Canadian idea of daytime-running lights
muddies this discussion.

> > - was I in the wrong and should have flipped the main beams on?

Maybe.  Low-beam headlights are surely better for situations where you are
concerned about folks seeing your car.  I know that I tend to turn on the
headlights when I will be passing on two-lanes or I expect cars coming the
other way to be passing.  I want them to be aware from a very long distance
that my car is facing them, not going the same way.

Phil Ethier  West Side  Saint Paul  Minnesota  USA
1970 Lotus Europa 65/2597, 1992 Saturn SL2, 1986 Suburban, 1962 TR4 CT2846L
pethier@isd.net  http://www.mnautox.com/  http://www.lotusowners.com