Re: TR3/4 Fuel Pump/Filter

Subject: Re: TR3/4 Fuel Pump/Filter
From: Steven Newell <steven@newellboys.com>
Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2003 20:23:35 -0600
Cc: TR <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Geo Hahn wrote:

> What is a good choice for the gasket atop the glass bowl of the fuel
> filter?  Moss & VB don't seem to offer replacements.  It's easy enough
> to make one, but I have seen both cork & rubber on there.

I bought mine from Moss. The part number on the one in my glovebox is
031-729. It's cork, $1.25 so buy several. Besides tractor shops I think the
gasket matches those from old jeeps -- CJ2A's and such. I didn't have
much luck with homemade rubber or cork gaskets on the '47 CJ2A I
owned, or even with a correct sized rubber gasket. But a good thick,
correct-for-the-pump cork gasket worked fine.

You can only reuse the cork gaskets a few times at best. Make sure
the mesh screen is seated nicely, and that the face of the pump is
clean, and a new cork gasket should be able to handle any slight
deformation in the pump housing. But once the glass bowl indents
into the cork gasket, your odds of getting a good seal are poor.

--
Steven Newell
Littleton, CO