RE: I need a Part!

To: ebk@buffnet.net, TR List <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: I need a Part!
From: Randall Young <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2003 14:30:12 -0800
>     I went today to remove the tires off the rims & found out that the
> local chain dealer doesn't have the same replaceable tubeless tire Value
> Stems.  They have a larger diameter base at the rim. I want to have the
> rims sandblasted, but If I can't get replacement valves then what should
> I do? There HAS to be some place to get them. I have TR4/A, but the rims
> maybe from earlier TR cars [TR4 or 3?]. :-\     TIA,

Cosmo, they must've been just temporarily out of the smaller diameter stems.
There are only two standard diameters, between them they cover 99% of the
cars on the road today, and all Triumphs (AFAIK) take the smaller of the two
standard diameters.  I believe the smaller ones are actually much more
popular, both my Dodge Caravan and Chevy Citation use them.
http://www.genieknows.net/cb017/DIYSearch?query=1284967

It is possible, with care, to remove and reuse the stems; but I wouldn't
recommend it.  They do get old and fail, leading to flat tires at
inopportune moments.  If you must, use a screwdriver to gently force the lip
back through the hole, working your way around until it pops through.

Randall