carbon canister?

To: "Rick Barnard" <rstirb@townisp.com>
Subject: carbon canister?
From: Dave Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2003 08:54:39 -0500
Cc: "[unknown]" <Triumphs@autox.team.net> 42dbca82.dsl.aros.net id h2BE2x4V001621
Message text written by "Rick Barnard"
>       I assume my TR6 is running on it's original carbon canister,  with
over
100,000 miles on it, and 30 years of age.  The shop manual says to replace
it every
50,000 miles.
        They list new at $90.  Ouch.
        Can they be opened and renewed, perhaps with aquarium charcoal?
Should I even be concerned?  All the original emissions plumbing is in
place, except
for the vapor line to the fuel tank.  This is open to atmosphere at the
canister, but I
have the parts and could reconnect if necessary.
        I have a good running engine with a rough idle and have tried many
things.
I wonder if this could be to blame.
<

Rick, I am doing just this on my TR8 (which has two canisters) but aquarium
charcoal is not recommended.  There is a guy on the east coast who made a
bulk purchase of the proper activated charcoal and will sell you the pound
or two that you need.

I'm no chemist and I don't know if the charcoal actually wears out although
I know it can become saturated and stop working for that reason.  If this
is the case all that may be required is to remove the charcoal and bake it
to drive out the absorbed vapors and such.  (Don't do this in the home
oven, however.  Spread the charcoal out on an aluminum pie pan(s) and leave
in the bright sunshine.

The TR8 canisters are ultrasonically welded and came apart with little
damage and all apearances are that they will glue back together with no
difficulty.

Since I am not finished with my project I am not sure of its success but I
know of no reason it will not work.  (BTW I took the liberty to zinc plate
the grate inside.  Not that anyone will see it and admire it but because
I'll know it's a real-purdy job)

My TR6 had not a rough idle but one with a rather regular hick-up.  I
solved this problem by replacing the 1/2 hose that interconnects the valve
cover to the carb connections and the charcoal canister.  My old hose
looked quite sound although a bit stiff and I only replaced it on a
shipwright's binge and what do you know?

Cheers

Dave Massey
57 TR3
71 TR6