carbon canister?

To: Triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: carbon canister?
From: "Rick Barnard" <rstirb@townisp.com>
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2003 21:00:24 -0500
Hi List,
        I assume my TR6 is running on it's original carbon canister,  with over
100,000 miles on it, and 30 years of age.  The shop manual says to replace it
every
50,000 miles.
        They list new at $90.  Ouch.
        Can they be opened and renewed, perhaps with aquarium charcoal?
Should I even be concerned?  All the original emissions plumbing is in place,
except
for the vapor line to the fuel tank.  This is open to atmosphere at the
canister, but I
have the parts and could reconnect if necessary.
        I have a good running engine with a rough idle and have tried many
things.
I wonder if this could be to blame.

                Thanks,
                        Rick    1973    TR6     CF2570U