Re: Camber, Caster and so on... (Shorter)

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Camber, Caster and so on... (Shorter)
From: Michael Hargreave Mawson <OC@46thFoot.com>
Date: Sun, 9 Feb 2003 11:50:52 +0000
On Sat, 8 Feb 2003, at around 08:37:45 local time, Randall Young
<Ryoung@navcomtech.com> wrote:
>> >Mike, before you celebrate too much, I suggest reading the
>> factory manual.
>> >I don't have it handy, but ISTR it specifies that the car should
>> be 'laden'
>> >when doing the alignment.
>>
>> One step forward, two steps back...
>>
>> I don't have a factory manual for my Spitfire.   Could someone who does
>> have one to hand please check for me?
>
>I have only the factory manual for early Spits, it contains the notation
>(static laden) behind the caster and camber specs.

Oh, dear.

>  However, this is not
>mentioned in the procedures for checking and setting caster and camber, so
>perhaps the assumption is that the engine provides enough of a load that the
>effect of passenger weight can be ignored on the front.

I can't see anyone using the term "laden" to mean "without removing the
engine block." <g>

>  I can't find any
>rear specifications at all (which would be irrelevant anyway, Mike has a
>different rear suspension).

Fingers crossed that they changed the specs by the time my car was
built...

ATB
--
Mike
Carly  - 1977 Inca Yellow Spitfire 1500 FH105671