Re: Heritage Motor Centre, Gaydon

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Heritage Motor Centre, Gaydon
From: Michael Hargreave Mawson <OC@46thFoot.com>
Date: Sun, 1 Sep 2002 14:36:48 +0100
On Sun, 1 Sep 2002, at around 13:22:40 local time, John Macartney
<jonmac@ndirect.co.uk> wrote:
>Michael Hargreave Mawson wrote:
>I was passing Gaydon this afternoon (shortly before I blew the head
>gasket in the convertible - but that's another story), and saw signs
>to the Motor Heritage Centre.   "Why don't I pop in and order a couple
>of BMHIT certificates, and maybe say 'Hi!' to Jonmac if he's there?"
>thought I, so I came off the motorway, followed the signs along the
>B-roads, and arrived at the Centre.   There I was met by a dirty great
>sign saying, "Adult Entry GBP8.00" - so I turned round and went back
>again...What is there at Gaydon that might be worth me lashing out
>eight quid to see?  What did I miss?
>
>Michael - had I been at Gaydon, I would have been delighted to have
>met you but I resigned some months ago due to illness.

Dear John,

I am very sorry to hear that, but I hope that your retirement has
restored you to vigorous good health.

> A  pity you
>found the entry fee to be a deterrent as there's lots to see and do. I
>won't attempt to justify Gaydon's entry fee but I don't think you'll
>find it too much out of line with other attractions. Warwick Castle
>would have cost you far more and the 'Bill Shakkers' theme in rip-off
>Stratford would have hit your wallet even harder.

I had no idea (until I started to receive a stream of replies to my
posting here) quite how much there was at Gaydon.   As I only had an
hour or so to spare in any case, eight pounds seemed rather a lot.   I
intend to go back and spend a day there.

> If you go to Gaydon
>on Standard Triumph Marque Day next year (end May) in the Herald,
>you'll probably get in for nothing as drivers of marque day makes have
>previously been admitted free and there's reduced entry for
>passengers.

Sounds good to me!   I'll make a note in my diary.

ATB

--
Mike
Carly  - 1977 Inca Yellow Spitfire 1500 FM105671