TR3A Starter Rebuild

To: "Triumph Internet Mail List." <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: TR3A Starter Rebuild
From: suhring <suhring@lancnews.infi.net>
Date: Sun, 01 Sep 2002 09:19:54 -0400
Cc: Bob Krivenko <krivenkb@pa.net>, Joe Laurito <TRglory@comcast.net>, "John Krause (home)" <jktr250@aol.com>
I am putting back together my starter after cleaning up and
repainting and have run into a question.

At the end of the drive shaft, above the teeth, is a clip that is
attached to the shaft.  Above this clip on the end side, is a washer.
The washer is about an 1/8" thick, allowing for the inner diameter to
have a "lip" so it appears to sit down on the clip. My question is,
is this correct or does the face sit on the clip?  The reason I
ask is with the washer sitting on the clip so it covers the clip, and
with the starter put back together, the washer can move about a 1/8th
of an inch from the clip to the base of the bushing that fits in the
nose piece.  With this movement, when I manually turn the teeth/
pinion, the entire inner unit will move that 1/8th of an inch,
which concerns me.  It appears if I would put the washer in the
other way, it would take up this slack, but then why would there
be the inner lip that seems to be there to sit down on the clip?
Should the bushing be extended below the nose piece casing to take up
this slack?  Doesn't seem to make sense.

TIA

Scott Suhring
Elizabethtown, PA
'70 TR6