RE: help wiring the ignition

To: <PeterSchop@aol.com>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: help wiring the ignition
From: "Randall Young" <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Sat, 27 Apr 2002 22:59:34 -0700
> I need a little help in wiring the ignition. Here is what I have
> done so far.
> I have the battery sitting on the frame. I hooked the negative
> cable to one
> of the bell housing bolts. The positive goes from the battery to the
> solenoid. A cable goes from the solenoid to the starter. Here is
> where I need
> help. Next I want to run a 14 ga wire from the solenoid to the
> coil? Does it
> matter which terminal I take off the solenoid?

Yes, you want the one with the cable from the battery.  Make it something
you can yank off in a hurry if something goes wrong.  (I assume you're
deliberately wiring for negative ground even though your car was originally
positive ground.)

> Which terminal on
> the coil do
> I hook it up to?

The two low tension terminals should be marked either CB and SW, or + and -.
You want the CB or + terminal.

>  Next I want to run another 14ga wire from the
> coil to the
> distributor. Which terminal do I come off of?

The one that's leftover from above, either SW or -.

> My next question deals with the temperature gage. Can I wire this
> up with it
> off the car? The back of the gage has two terminals. I would
> think that one
> would go to the temperature sending unit and the other to ground.

No, the other goes to power through the stabilizer (which also has to be
grounded to work properly).

>  Hanes
> states that the "system comprises of a temperature transmitter,
> located in
> the thermostat, a voltage stabilizer and temperature gage." Is
> the voltage
> stabilizer necessary for the gage to work?

The gage will read drastically high without the stabilizer.  You might want
to consider picking up a cheap mechanical gage at the local discount house.
If you get a 2" gage, it will even fit in the dash if necessary for some
reason.

Randall