Re: Inner and Outer Collar on Exhaust Valves

To: hfader@usa.net, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Inner and Outer Collar on Exhaust Valves
From: ZinkZ10C@aol.com
Date: Sat, 27 Apr 2002 19:55:03 EDT
In a message dated 4/27/02 4:47:39 PM Eastern Daylight Time, hfader@usa.net
writes:

<< So now, my question is: What is the function of the double collar? The
 exhaust springs will have more pre-load and more load when fully open. Is
 this to keep them from binding or something?

 - Hugh Fader >>

Is this double collar a tin cover that goes over the spring or a two piece
looking spring retainer?  ( the part that has a hole for the valve stem)

The following is for engines in general:

If it is a two piece retainer it may be a valve rotator.  These are used on
the exhaust valve and are really just a bearing that allows the exhause valve
to rotate a bit each time the valve is opened and closed.  The theory is if a
piece of carbon is stuck in the seat the valve rotation will tend to
displace/crush/grind the debri.  If a valve is a non rotator, there is a
chance the carbon will be imbedded into the seat causing it to burn a valve.

Usually the valve springs or the valves are of differing heights to allow
proper spring installed height.  Have you measured installed height?  Miss
matched parts should have a pretty substantial height problem, something like
3/16" or greater.

If it is a tin cover, I've seen these on some engines but don't remember what
valve they go on.