Re: TR6 Fly Wheel Ring Gear

To: oldtoys@brick.net, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: TR6 Fly Wheel Ring Gear
From: ZinkZ10C@aol.com
Date: Sat, 27 Apr 2002 19:42:05 EDT
In a message dated 4/26/02 11:22:45 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
oldtoys@brick.net writes:

<<  I remember reading about reversing the ring gear
 on a fly wheel?  Is that applicable to a TR6 fly wheel ring gear?
 Creig Houghtaling >>

For engines in general the flywheel ring gear has the trailing side of the
teeth chamfered to allow the starter drive a larger opening to hit while
engaging.  This chamfer is only on the starter side if the ring gear so it
would need to be duplicated when it is flipped over.

I've done this on a couple of engines where time did not allow for a
replacement rear to be shipped and/or it was a non critical low use
application ( old fork lift) .  ( If more than 1/3 of the tooth is missing it
might break off ).  Use a thin ( 1/8 ) wheel for a handheld grinder or a 60-
100 grit 2" sanding disc in a die grinder.  It takes some time but the
factory chamfer can be duplicated.

For most engines, pressed on ring gears are just tapped off with a flat
punch.  To reinstall, warm the gear with a torch.  DO NOT get it anywhere
near red hot, 200*F temp is probably enough.  I usually run the torch round
and round then test for fit as the ring should just fall onto the flywheel.

Harold