RE: Belt pullies for alternator conversion

To: "Jerry Goulet" <jgoulet@thomsontechnology.com>
Subject: RE: Belt pullies for alternator conversion
From: Dave Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Thu, 25 Apr 2002 14:25:25 -0400
Cc: "[unknown]" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Message text written by "Jerry Goulet"
>Modern AC alternators (usually incorrectly called generators) powered by
diesel engines and the like, get their excitation from a small Permanent
Magnet Generator (PMG) that is on the end of the shaft.  The output of the
PMG is controlled through the voltage regulator and fed to the excitor
field which is a rotating electro-magnet.  It is virtually the same as
Randall described, just more efficient and no doubt cheaper to make.
<

Actually, very few generators (alternators) use PMG excitation.  Marathon
Electric is one such manufacturer of these.  They make a line of PMG
generators that range from 100KW to about 1.5 MW (I forget the actual range
and it's been 10 years since I worked with them)  They utilize the first
commercial, microprocessor based voltage regulator (Patent # 5,294,879) to
control excitation.

Most gensets use shunt excitation for cost reasons.

Dave Massey