Re: TR6 engine blueprinting

To: Rob Christopher <robc@cisco.com>, "triumphs@autox.team.net" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: TR6 engine blueprinting
From: Doug Hamilton <douglasehamilton@shaw.ca>
Date: Tue, 09 Apr 2002 17:41:06 -0600
Rob,
On the blueprinting side of things if you provide your machinist with
all the new parts you are going to use i.e.: bearing, small end
bushings, pistons/rings etc. and you have him do the following; resize
the rods, turn the crank, bore the block, deck the block, align hone the
block, surface head, 3 or more angle valve job and balancing the bottom
end. If your machinist is good at his job you will have what most would
consider a blueprinted motor. Any of the other details involved in
blueprinting your engine you can do yourself. I did the following things
myself balanced the pistons and rods, polished the rods(machine shop
shotpeened them), CC the head, polished the combustion chambers, port
matched the head and manifolds, deburred the engine block, and basically
checked every measurement involved with the engine and documented it.
Attached is a Word document that details all the checks for a
blueprinted engine. My machinist is a very old friend who has been doing
engine work for me for over 20 years and as far as the machine work was
concerned all the parts he did were done to exact factory specs not to
one limit or the other, but I still checked all his work and documented
every measurement. I had all the above mentioned machine work done to my
engine a 4cyl ohv Fiat and it cost under $1400.00CAD for the machine
work and balancing. With engine parts I've probably got close to
$2800.00CAD. I looked into having my head ported and polished by a shop
with a flow bench but the starting price was $600.00 and an additional
$150/hr for extra flow bench time, that will have to wait till my lotto
numbers pay off. You can save a fair amount of money on your rebuild by
stripping down your engine and reassembling it yourself. And a caution
to anyone using a machine shop only give them the parts they need to do
your work for you there is always a chance they will lose a piece that
you have to order from half way round the world and wait 6 weeks to get it.
If anyone else wants this blueprinting check list email me off list and
I'll send it to you.

Doug Hamilton
1960 Triumph TR3A
1963 Fiat Cabriolet

Rob Christopher wrote:

>Joe, Randall, Scott, Doug,
>
>Thanks for the explanation.  I'll be calling my machine shop within a day or so
>to get their definition of "engine balancing".  Blueprinting seems a bit
>excessive to me so I'll stick to just getting the pistons and rods matched and
>the crank/flywheel/pulley dynamically balanced.
>
>Thanks again,
>Rob in Ottawa

[demime 0.97c removed an attachment of type application/msword which had a name
of engineblueprint.doc]