RE: TR6 engine blueprinting

To: "Rob Christopher" <robc@cisco.com>, "Triumph List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: TR6 engine blueprinting
From: "Randall Young" <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Mon, 8 Apr 2002 20:25:34 -0700
I suppose this is another "different things to different people" question,
but I believe the original use of the term "blueprinting" was to go through
the engine entirely, being sure that every component was at the desired edge
of the manufacturer's allowable tolerance, to produce the maximum power
within 'stock' racing rules.  So, it would include things like making sure
all the combustion chambers were as small as allowed, bores were all as
large as allowed, piston weights lightest, etc.

Hard to say what a specific shop would do, but your #1 and #2 should be part
of balancing, IMO.  They don't actually spin the assembly up, it's a
'static' process, but it should also include adjusting the counterweights on
the crank, and balancing all the peripheral components (flywheel, clutch,
harmonic dampener, etc.)

Best way to find out is to ask the shop.  In fact, I would suggest first
discussing the topic with them, and then writing down a detailed list of
each operation you expect them to do, and giving them a copy with the parts.
Include your contact information in case they need to ask you a question in
the middle of doing the work.

Randall