RE: Allison XR-700 and other electronic conversions?

To: "triumphs@autox.team.net" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Allison XR-700 and other electronic conversions?
From: Doug Hamilton <douglasehamilton@shaw.ca>
Date: Mon, 08 Apr 2002 14:05:38 -0600
>I'm still not crazy about the Crane XR3000 on my TR3A.  I was much happier
>with the MSD 6A triggered with points.  My future plan is to follow in Joe
>Curry's footsteps, and use a Pertronix unit to trigger a MSD 6A.

You might want to look at Crane's new import power package they list it
for the MGA-B it gives you one of their digital Hi 6 multispark boxes, a
matched coil, the same distributor pickup as the XR700-3000 and a
complete wiring harness for the combination, they also list the XR700
pickup assembly as a sperate unit with out the box to trigger any other
manufacturers CD box.

http://www.cranecams.com/import/mga.htm

I'm wondering what experiences others have had with various ignition
conversions good and bad.

I've had a boat with a Mercruiser 140 stern drive that had an old
Allison XR700 that saw more than 10 years of water skiing with out a
hiccup. I had a Chev 350 with a Mallory Unilight and an MSD6 this worked
perfectly. I had and AMC 401 with a Delco distributor and a Mallory
UniMag conversion it lasted about 8 years and about 40k miles before it
failed the box was epoxy potted so fixing it was not an option. The
UniMag isn't listed as fitting a Lucas distributor but is a universal
package like the XR700 that will adapt to almost anything the difference
being it uses a hall effect for a magnetic pick up and triggers off the
points lobes on the distributor shaft, installation is actually easier
than the XR700.
There has been a few people in my local club who have used the Pertronix
ignitor with mixed results including a failure on a hot day on a
mountain pass with very little shoulder to stop on. And yet when I was
pricing out various systems at my local speed shop the guy working the
counter claimed to have sold hundreds of the Pertronix systems and never
had one come back. Of the systems I've used the only one that gave a
measurable gain in performance was the Unilight/MSD combo the only
advantage the other systems had over points was less frequent tune ups
and no point float at higher revs.
So what are other's experiences and recommendations on the ignition box
front.

Doug Hamilton
1960 Triumph TR3A
1963 Fiat Cabriolet