Re: Sealant for threads

To: "Robert M. Lang" <lang@isis.mit.edu>
Subject: Re: Sealant for threads
From: Dave Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Mon, 8 Apr 2002 14:18:25 -0400
Cc: Charles Shaw <charlie.shaw@acsalaska.net>, "[unknown]" <triumphs@autox.team.net>, "[unknown]" <6pack@autox.team.net>
Message text written by "Robert M. Lang"
>On Sat, 6 Apr 2002, Charles Shaw wrote:

> Can anyone recommend a sealant for the bolts that attached the water pump

> body to the head or is this required at all.

I'm pretty sure that these bolts do intrude into the water jacket, so some
anti-sieze should be used. If they don't intrude - they do get pretty
crusty over time. So I always use some anti-sieze on the threads.
<

Sorry to contratict you but they are blind holes in the head.  I know this
because I have a head where someone (the DPO, not me) overtorqued one of
the bolts and broke away part of the cast iron.  I was considering drilling
it through and tapping it and using a longer bolt (and using stainless
steel) but I wound up using a different head   Problem solved.

But the bolts do get really nasty - probably due to a steel bolt in a deep
hole in the cast iron pump housing where any water seeping past the gasket
(or weeping through the pores in the casting) will work its majic.

Cheers

Dave