Re: Misfire

To: "Triumph List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Misfire
From: "John Macartney" <jonmac@ndirect.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2001 00:09:03 -0000
Guys and gals
Some months ago, I solicited your thoughts on CG's infuriating misfire
and many of you replied with words of comfort and succour - for which
my thanks. Many suggestions had already been researched and proved
futile and I had changed everything in sight - and still the old bitch
misfired. I was just a gnat's whisker off lifting the head to check
whether there were badly seating valves and submitted the old girl for
her first Ministry of Transport test on Thursday. Apart from the
misfire, everything was fine - and she passed with flying colours
after 13 years of little use and recent illicit drives under cover of
darkness.
I  came home with a test ticket clenched in my teeth and on arriving
at home, lifted a parcel off the passenger's seat with a length of
string hanging from it. This got caught on the cold start knob,
pulling it out - and the misfire vanished with clean running on all
six.
Cause? The cold start control when shut off (= choke pushed fully
home) was bearing on the datum track setting and under-fuelling the
engine, causing te misfire.
Pending the availability of ten minutes for re-setting the cable in
the cold start yoke, I've reverted to that old Standard Triumph remedy
for a reluctant engine - a clothes peg on a piece of string hanging
from the knob.
Works perfick - and it's authentic too.

Jonmac
MG 4305 DLO 1970 Triumph 2.5PI