Re: Emissions testing

To: <chusmann@execpc.com>
Subject: Re: Emissions testing
From: "John Macartney" <jonmac@ndirect.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 18 Nov 2001 23:52:31 -0000
Cc: "Triumph List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Ernest Hussman wrote:
If we could find someway to lobby the Federal government to ease the
controls on
vintage vehicles this would allow a way for the public to enjoy the
older cars in
the manner in which we remember them from our childhood.  At this
time, in the
US, we have the perfect administration to do this.
I am not about to say that there are not legitimate concerns regarding
air
quality, but how many vehicles; cars, trucks, motorcycles, etc.; over
20 years of
age are there?  It is likely a larger group than anyone could imagine
with our
limited involvement within our own little box.  However, it is very
minor when
compared to the mileage driven by cars less than 10 years of age.

I believe this probably more than adequately reflects the situation
globally. While I can't speak for anywhere other than the UK, we have
a body, the FBHVC - Federation of British Historic Vehicle Clubs  to
which any car club with an ounce of common-sense will affiliate
itself. While the UK is obviously substantially smaller than North
America, the FBHVC does speak with a powerful voice on behalf of its
many affiliated clubs who collectively represent some 400,000 people
who often have more than one 'historic' vehicle - made prior to 1972.
The FBHVC lobbies not only the British government but also the
European Parliament  and has been very successful in the steps it has
taken. In co-operation with similar bodies in Europe, it has (I
believe) largely confounded the assinine End of Vehicle Life Directive
and been largely instrumental in getting the UK government to
re-launch supplies of leaded fuel that can be obtained (at a price)
from selected filling stations. It is active on many other fronts and
is the principal body that all clubs look to for support on
contentious issues - and it works!

Randall Young wrote:
And, most states are not likely to ease up on vintage cars, because
vintage car enthusiasts are small and weak, while the real polluters
are
big and strong.

This is exactly te point I was trying to make. No car club can
individually hit out and expect to be listened to but a body
representing all of them certainly can.

Jonmac
MG 4305 DLO 1970 Triumph 2.5PI