Re: TR 250 REAR BRAKES!

To: "INTERNET:ZoboHerald@aol.com" <ZoboHerald@aol.com>
Subject: Re: TR 250 REAR BRAKES!
From: David Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Wed, 7 Nov 2001 15:03:30 -0500
Cc: "[unknown]" <randallyoung@earthlink.net>, "[unknown]" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Message text written by INTERNET:ZoboHerald@aol.com
>> Another alternative is a 1/4" drive, 1/4" 8 point socket; and a 1/4"
> drive ratchet.

POSSIBLY better still (if it is still being made) is a deep-jawed, 1/4"
open-end wrench from Snap-On (combination; the other end is 3/16" I think).
I bought mine nearly 30 years ago, and it remains one of my most cherished
tools. I'll happily provide the part number on the wrench if anyone so
desires. This wrench is long enough to give fair leverage, and the jaws are
more than deep enough to prevent rounding of the square peg (unless really
massive effort is applied, in which case it's time to remove the adjuster
and get out the penetrating oil or propane torch to free it up, etc.).
<

What I don't like about open jawed wrenches is that they put the pressure
on two corners of the bolt head.  The square socket will load up on four.
If the adjuster is in good working order and will turn fairly freely the
open jawed wrench will work just fine.  If the adjuster is rusty (more
likely) the open jawed wrench will just round off two corners after which
the user is likely to reposition and round off the other two.  Then out
comes the vicegrips.  The square socket will more likely snap the square
head right off forcing a replacement.

Just my opinion

Dave