RE: Flexible Coupling

To: "Biedermann, Frank (SSABSA)" <frank@ssabsa.sa.gov.au>
Subject: RE: Flexible Coupling
From: David Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Thu, 16 Aug 2001 22:28:01 -0400
Cc: "triumphs (E-mail)" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Message text written by "Biedermann, Frank (SSABSA)"
>Um, I don't know about the TR-250, but I know my 69 TR6 has the flexible
rubber coupling as well, and I've never heard of a U-joint replacement
(although Moss does sell something along those lines). I have no reason to
believe that anyone would be stupid enough to replace a U-joint with a
rubber coupling (even if they were a DPO). I'd certainly be interested in
hearing about a U-joint replacement...
<

G'day, Frank, if you car is like mine it has a rubber coupling at the upper
end of the intermediate shaft and a small universal joint at the rack end.
I beleve that they are interchangable.  That being the case one can buy a
replacement U-joint and replace the roto-flex coupling.

Why the rubber coupling?  The most logical reason would be to isolate some
of the road harshness from the driver.  However, since these things are
rubber they should be renewed every 25 years or so.

Cheers

Dave Massey
71 TR6
St. Louis, MO USA