Re: Flexible Coupling

To: Ct54531@aol.com, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Flexible Coupling
From: Raymond Hatfield <iron_horse819@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 16 Aug 2001 11:19:33 -0700 (PDT)
--- Ct54531@aol.com wrote:
> Just as I though it was safe to go out on  the street....!
> As I backed the 4A out of the garage yesterday, the upper flexible coupling
> on the steering column utterly disintegrated, the metal parts on the lower
> section completely pulling through and out of the rubber on the top. I have a
> parts car and the coupling on it looks almost like new but, given the rather
> nauseating feeling I got when I imagined this happening while driving on the
> public ways, I think I'll go brand new. Do all the suppliers sell essentially
> the same one? Are there any quality issues in this?

Well, personally I plan on replacing both of mine with the u-joint used on the
TR-250 & TR6

> My second question is getting the old one off. I assume its just a matter of
> 36 years of being on that makes them so immovable. Is it a matter of forcing
> the ends off the splines? Or is there a trick I'm unaware of?

Mine came off fairly easily, just tapping lightly once the pinchbolt was
removed - but then again mine was soaked with motor oil too.

> Also, way back when in the restoration, I had trouble getting the u-shaped
> clamp back on -- the one towards the top of the shaft. I believe it's called
> an impact clamp. Could that have been too loose and caused -- or contributed
> to the failure? How tight should the impact clamp be?

I don't think it could have caused the failure - any rubber is going to fail
when old enough.  I don't have torque settings handy, but I tightened mine
1/4th turn from snug.

=====
Raymond L. Hatfield
'65 TR4A IRS, O/D, SAH Tuned "Chance"