Re: TR2/3 rear end ratios

Subject: Re: TR2/3 rear end ratios
From: Randall <randallyoung@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2001 08:05:36 -0700
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
Angelo :

The 4.11 rear axle ratio was only available in combination with the OD
(according to the literature, although I believe the truth was that the
factory would build anything that someone was willing to pay for); but
it appears that relatively few OD cars in the US actually had the 4.11
gears.  In fact, I own the only TR3 I've ever seen that has the correct
speedo head for the 4.11 rear. (And no, it's not for sale <g>)

I've never driven a TR2, but I have driven a stock TR3 with 83mm liners,
and IMO the 4.11 would be a waste behind a stock engine.  In fact, Steve
Hedke reported that Scrappy's 0-60 time actually went down when he
switched from 3.70 gears to 3.45.

Randall
59 TR3A TS39781LO