Re: Overdrives going backwards

Subject: Re: Overdrives going backwards
From: Randall <randallyoung@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 02 Aug 2001 07:35:06 -0700
Cc: "[unknown]" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
David Massey wrote:
>  but one
> would have to think that somewhere there is a hill steep enough to apply
> enough reverse force to damage the clutch, doncha think?

I'm too lazy to work through the math at the moment, but offhand it
seems unlikely to me that one would be driving on such a hill, even on
Pike's Peak.  The sprag clutch has to put up with full engine torque
times 2nd gear ratio (2.00) during the shift from 2 direct to 2 OD.  My
previous car (with a somewhat tweaked motor and stock TR4 OD) would
chirp the skinny tires in 2D, and I frequently did full throttle shifts
from 2D to 2OD, without ever damaging the sprag clutch (rear axle is a
different story <g>).

Now, who is going to pick out a hill near Breckenridge to try it on <g>

Randall