Overdrives going backwards

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Overdrives going backwards
From: Scott Tilton <sdtilton@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 1 Aug 2001 19:49:21 -0700 (PDT)
I had occasion to wonder today:

I'm told that it is very very bad to put a car in reverse and back up with the
overdrive (A type) engaged.

So what I'm wondering is.. . . Let's say you have your car in second gear, with
overdrive engaged.

Then (don't ask why) you leave the car in gear, depress the clutch and brake
until you come to a stop.  (Car is still in gear, and OD is still engaged)

Now pretend you are on a good sized hill, and you let off the brake. . .
keeping the clutch depressed and the car rolls backwards while you are in
second gear and the OD is still engaged.

What happens?
Does stuff tear up?
Will the car not roll backwards very far cause the OD keeps it from going
backwards?

Tell me what you think.

Scott Tilton
In Leesburg, VA